Insure your passions..
Posted on 04/28/2011 at 05:00 pm by EC Moran Insurance Company
Viewed 2,314 times
Most people choose their insurances by what is required. Your Auto loss payee requires coverage on the car, your mortgagee requires Homeowners insurance. But what about your personal belongings that are important to you? Know what is in your home, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, (NAIC):
"One of the best ways to make sure possessions are fully protected is to document them with a home inventory. Now, creating a home inventory is easier than ever thanks to myHOME Scr.APP.book, a new iPhone® application from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). The free myHOME Scr.APP.book app lets users quickly photograph and capture images, descriptions, bar codes and serial numbers, and then stores them electronically for safekeeping (see video demonstration). The app organizes information room by room, and even creates a back-up file for e-mail sharing.
10 Steps to Complete a Home Inventory
- Make a list of possessions, including ‘celebration’ purchases such as jewelry and fine art.
- Think about family heirlooms, collections and furniture. Also consider items related to everyday leisure time, from flat-screen televisions to custom guitars.
- Take note of commonplace items such as toys, CDs and clothing. And do not forget items you may only use occasionally such as holiday decorations, sports equipment, tools and high-ticket items kept outside your home such as landscape art and swing sets.
- Attach copies of original sales receipts and/or appraisal documents to your inventory. Be sure to note model and serial numbers.
- Group your possessions into logical categories, i.e., by hobby, by room in your home.
- Carefully photograph or videotape each item and document a brief description including age, purchase price and estimated current value.
- Remember to open drawers and closets to document what’s inside.
- Store your home inventory and related documents in a safe, easily accessible place such as a secured site/file online, a fire-proof box or in a safe deposit box. You may want to share a copy with your insurance provider so he or she can make necessary updates to your coverage.
- Review and update your inventory annually and whenever you make a significant purchase.
- To get started, download the free myHOME Scr.APP.book app for iPhone® users by visiting the iTunes® App Store or searching ‘NAIC’ in the app store from your phone. Or go to www.insureuonline.org to print a simple home inventory checklist.
See the full article here: http://www.naic.org/Releases/2011_docs/home_inventory